Lead UAV Engineer
Gravitilab Aerospace Services is based in Norwich, with collaborations and operations with launch partners in Scotland. An exciting, fast-growing start-up and industry pathfinder for microgravity testing services and aiding UK space science goals. With patent pending on an innovative UAV system, Gravitilab is seeking an experienced UAV engineer to bring this project to fruition.
Lead UAV Engineer
The successful candidate shall take the technical lead on projects for design, manufacture and testing of our next iteration of UAV-based systems. They shall also be responsible for liaising with site operators, regulators and engineers from our other technical departments to progress the project. We aim to push the boundaries of current aerospace technologies, therefore they will also be learning about and conducting novel research to continually improve our existing and upcoming systems.
- To lead on the design, simulation and testing for the technical and operational development of the next iteration variants to the LOUIS UAV system, keeping the project on-track and managing resources effectively.
- To be responsible for organising project technical & operational documentation- designing, developing and verifying systems using the proprietary NSEF systems engineering framework.
- To ensure that system failure mechanisms are understood and controlled, and are designed with fail-safe techniques and sufficient redundancy to meet predefined Product Assurance & Design Standards, such as the relevant ECSS, NTSS & RTCA standards.
- To liaise effectively with relevant 3rd parties to secure consultancy, flight opportunities, operational permissions, outsourced manufacturing and equipment etc. as required by the project.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Mechanical / Aeronautical / Electronics Engineering or similar relevant field
- Minimum 3 years industry experience
- Minimum 1 year project management experience
- Very strong knowledge and experience of UAV system design
- Experience of planning and undertaking tasks within the verification process.
- Awareness of ECSS standards, and experience of projects through Phase 0/A To D/E
- Experience of agile project management, the use of Asana / Jira
- Knowledge of relevant technical standards, e.g. RTCA / MIL / EUROCAE.
- Formal project management training, or demonstrable evidence of successful project management experience.
- Experience of submission of operating licences to airspace legislators, e.g. CAA / MAA.
Desirable Skills and Qualities
- Ability to organise, prioritise and manage work to critical project timelines in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Open minded and willing to engage with a variety of tasks/duties.
- A communicative and personable approach to teamwork.
- Good Microsoft Office skills: Teams, Word, Excel and SharePoint.
- A very high standard of spoken and written English.
- Positive and proactive ‘can-do’ attitude and ability to understand a ‘new space’ start-up environment.
- Be part of a fast paced, dynamic and exciting environment, with enthusiastic people who love their work
- Work for a company at the leading edge of the New Space revolution in the UK, pathfinding space launch and commercial microgravity services
- Have real responsibility for the design & development of technical subsystems and delivery of an innovative project.
- Develop new skills and competencies fast through both role-specific external upskilling and on-the-job training.
£30,000 – £35,000 depending on experience
Send a cover letter and C.V. to [email protected]